AMERICAN GOLD EAGLE
The obverse features a rendition of Augustus Saint-Gaudens’ full length figure of Lady Liberty with flowing hair, holding a torch in her right hand and an olive branch in her left.
The reverse shows, since 2021, a portrait of an eagle.
- UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
- E PLURIBUS UNUM
- IN GOD WE TRUST
Composition is 91.67% gold, 3% silver, balance copper with a reeded edge.
Weight and diameter differs between the one, half, quarter, and tenth ounce sizes.
- The one ounce coin, $50 face value, is 1.287 inches (32.70 mm) in diameter, contains one gold troy ounce and weighs 1.0909 troy ounces (33.931 g).
- The one-half ounce coin, $25 face value, is 1.063 inches (27.00 mm) in diameter, contains 0.5000 gold troy ounce and weighs 0.5455 troy ounce (16.966 g).
- The one-quarter ounce coin, $10 face value, is 0.866 inch (22.00 mm) in diameter, contains 0.2500 gold troy ounce and weighs 0.2727 troy ounce (8.483 g).
- The one-tenth ounce coin, $5 face value, is 0.650 inch (16.50 mm) in diameter, contains 0.1000 gold troy ounce and weighs 0.1091 troy ounce (3.393 g).
Bullion coins don’t feature a mint mark.
- Designer: Augustus Saint-Gaudens